"But ah'm not afraid of dyin'. Cause I know that when I get to heaven there are gonna be these wonderful trees, and ah'm gonna climb them. But you know what? Instead of leaves and flowers, those trees are gonna have fried eggs, and delicious Virginia ham, and big heaping bowls of biscuits and sausage gravy. And one day, Sammy, you're gonna meet me there, and we're gonna climb those breakfast trees together, and it's gonna be delicious and we're gonna be happy until the end of time."

12.04.2004

Drink the Corn Liquor, Leave that Cocaine Be

Why I'm starting to love Nashville:

The Station Inn is a miniscule hole, but it's the cradle of Bluegrass/Country/Hill music. When they came down off the mountain, it's where they played. You know..."they", all of them. Zero frills, low ceiling, one kind of beer, sold only by the pitcher. We got in line for to see the second of three nights of OCMS around 6:15 for a 9 pm show. They let us in at 7 and we commenced ta drinkin'. Turns out Clay Bush's old babysitter was working the tap, so we enjoyed free pitchers all night. While we were waiting, Sean and Ross ran into some bakers across the street and traded some hits off their pipe for piping hot sourdough and chocolate bread. Sourdough bread straight from the oven, and free beer, and the show hadn't even started yet. By the time Old Crow hit the stage, the 15 or so of us were more than ready to dance, so we pushed all the tables we'd fought so hard against the crowd for aside and didn't sit down until the shindig ended a few hours later. We were stage right, and when I say that, I mean the entire area was comprised of our dancing fool asses and a few unfortunate older souls who were stuck with us. I was dancing like a maniac, and about four tables directly to my right, I caught a face I knew I'd seen before. I stopped, scanned the registry, and realized Gillian Welch was seated placidly ten feet away. About the same time David Rawlings joined the band onstage, and I wished on an eyelash she'd join them onstage. I'm going to start wishing on more eyelashes because a few songs later she was up there, with a drum no less. She sang backup with them the for the rest of the show. I feel very sorry for the people going tonight, because the roof was blown off last night. Those guys play hard and fast, and slow, and sweet, and everything in between. At one point, Ketch Secor broke his bow and twanged to the crowd surely, here at the Station Inn in Nashville, Tennessee there is a fiddle player in the house, and several people ran to their cars. He picked up his banjo, but one returned with a bow before they could start the next tune. The whole affair was an absolute riot. I like to dance, but I've never dance like I danced last night.
To cap the evening off, I was in line to get water on the way out and heard my name. I looked over and saw two girls ducking, and they just happened to be Sarah Strickler and Amanda Wilburn. They had been betting to themselves whether or not I was me for a good portion of the evening, so they tried the name test just to see. We gushed and caught up for a minute, so great to see both of them.
I needed some fun, and I got more than I deserved last night. I suppose that means it's time to lock myelf in the studio for the next four days. Nice knowing you.