"But ah'm not afraid of dyin'. Cause I know that when I get to heaven there are gonna be these wonderful trees, and ah'm gonna climb them. But you know what? Instead of leaves and flowers, those trees are gonna have fried eggs, and delicious Virginia ham, and big heaping bowls of biscuits and sausage gravy. And one day, Sammy, you're gonna meet me there, and we're gonna climb those breakfast trees together, and it's gonna be delicious and we're gonna be happy until the end of time."

6.26.2004

Appetite for Democracy

Here's a recipe for you:
Take equal parts (about four years) pent-up anger, sadness, disappointment, helplessness, despair, add a dash of jest. Rub mixture into freshly opened old wounds. Distill into 120 minutes, until crystallized. Voila! Your very own Fahrenheit 9/11 viewing experience.

The movie last night was a bit like a black Baptist church on a Sunday morning, lots of clapping, head nodding, and zero air conditioning. All we were missing was dancing in the aisles and some "Praise Jesus!" Throughout the movie I kept thinking the guy in the audience during the Outback Jack preview was right: "You're showing this to the wrong crowd!" I just wish we could round up the half of the country that supports that asshole for re-election and serve it up to them Clockwork Orange style. But without the eyedrops. They'd tear up soon enough, I feel. Sure, it had Moore's classic sensationalism, and penchant for selective details. But it needed to be done. You don't see that shit on the news. And you should.

Amazingly, most of the arguments against the film I heard made on mainstream news, and on select message boards turned out to be false. I kept hearing that Moore spent more time on screen prancing around than actually showing anything...wtf?? Did these people see the film? I'm still undecided about the Bin Laden family thing. Everything I've heard lately has stated they were indeed questioned, and they didn't take off until flights had resumed all over the country. That part was sketchy, but whatever. I doesn't have anything to do with the larger issues at hand.
Overall, a masterpiece in my humble opinion. Sorry I was so antsy afterward, but my head was going to boil over if I didn't start shutting it down asap.