"But ah'm not afraid of dyin'. Cause I know that when I get to heaven there are gonna be these wonderful trees, and ah'm gonna climb them. But you know what? Instead of leaves and flowers, those trees are gonna have fried eggs, and delicious Virginia ham, and big heaping bowls of biscuits and sausage gravy. And one day, Sammy, you're gonna meet me there, and we're gonna climb those breakfast trees together, and it's gonna be delicious and we're gonna be happy until the end of time."

8.14.2006

"Take your time...

..she's only burning."

Today at Magic Wok as I was cooling the fire of spicy chicken cashew with countless glasses of useless water, Betty imparted tiny asian lady wisdom. You have to have five things lined up, if one falls through, you move to the next one. And you have to have fire inside for each of them. You have to have the fire.

I got home and got an IM from one of my best friends (you may know her as Jen), who just started a new job in Florida. After an exhaustive search she found a house that would be perfect after a complete overhaul. Her mother caught the fever and bought one down the street that needed less rehab. Jen has been staying at her mother's project while renovating her own place.
This morning, a month before it was to be finished, some crackhead burned her house down.

bellepal: http://www.news4jax.com/video/9674907/detail.html
You can see my morning here.

Obviously it could have been worse. She could have been in the house. Everything she owns could have been in the house (with the exception of her computer, stereo equipment and power tools - they were stolen in a break-in two weeks ago). Insurance can put back most of it, but it won't replace the old woodwork and the history of the place. Still, she has a place to stay. She's not physically hurt, but in pain nonetheless.

So tonight I'm occupied with creation and destruction by fire. A better artist would have pencils in hand, but I'm just staring at the wall and constructing fleeting images I hope to recapture later. I need some fire, but I can't bring myself to want it.