"But ah'm not afraid of dyin'. Cause I know that when I get to heaven there are gonna be these wonderful trees, and ah'm gonna climb them. But you know what? Instead of leaves and flowers, those trees are gonna have fried eggs, and delicious Virginia ham, and big heaping bowls of biscuits and sausage gravy. And one day, Sammy, you're gonna meet me there, and we're gonna climb those breakfast trees together, and it's gonna be delicious and we're gonna be happy until the end of time."

1.17.2005

Landlocked Lighthouse

January is hard. Happy birthday to Adam, Ross, and Xian, in that order. And happy MLK, just for good measure. Also, my Wu-name is Half-Cut Skeleton. Chew on that for awhile.
For those of you who keep up with these things, Ross is fine, and I don't think he'll be drinking 8 shots of whiskey in rapid succession again anytime soon. But tomorrow is another day, and also the day of the actual whiskey party, so I may be underestimating 3-day weekend birthday boy.
Currently, I'm wondering if three of my favorite people who were drinking shots at my house, and are driving home across the snowy plateau in a car with brake problems, are lying in a ravine somewhere. Life will not be worth living anymore if they are, so I hope someone will call me when they arrive home safely.

Highlights of the weekend: Punching Randy in the eye with my glass ring during a heated (read drunken) bit of thumbwar....Mike-wrestling in nice clothes in the mud...Mike-wrestling in nice clothes out of the mud...free Cracker Barrel breakfast for six...hanging out with Kyle and Rachael for the first time as a couple and noticing they seem to be making each other really happy (or maybe it was the whiskey?), thus changing my outlook completely...the philosophic stylings of 3-day weekend birthday boy from the bathroom, in between hurls...snow...and a few lucious moments of unmention.

Lowlights of the weekend: Giving Randy a black and bloody eye...mud on my nice clothes...busting my ass, audibly, on the stairs in the wee hours...more bruises than I like to have at one time...having to play naggy bitchy girl...earning free Cracker Barrel breakfast for six...an absolute inability to have the right keys at the right time...pathetic, sickly 3-day weekend birthday boy (BTW, he's very very very very very very sorry. I know, because he said it, a lot)...and the unbearable mindfuck of a few lucious moments of unmention.

Thus ends your humble narrator's 30-day bender. It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down. Planning for Old Crow Medicine Show at the Tennessee on February 26 will begin in 5....4...3....2.....

Listening to: Radiohead- Backdrifts (The Honeymoon is Over)