"But ah'm not afraid of dyin'. Cause I know that when I get to heaven there are gonna be these wonderful trees, and ah'm gonna climb them. But you know what? Instead of leaves and flowers, those trees are gonna have fried eggs, and delicious Virginia ham, and big heaping bowls of biscuits and sausage gravy. And one day, Sammy, you're gonna meet me there, and we're gonna climb those breakfast trees together, and it's gonna be delicious and we're gonna be happy until the end of time."

1.12.2005

Slugabed, Baby

In the interest of jumping back in to the swing...
Team Grudge emerges victorious! After many long and agonizing months living with the sting of inital defeat, Sewell and I have recaptured our Cranium crown. We did not merely win, no, we ruled with such authority that the game ended with a glorious "awww, fuck this, let's go to Vic and Bill's."
Happy Birthday to Anna!
In honor of the occasion, we luncheoned at West Side Tavern this afternoon, mainly because they give you a free lunch on your birthday. Then, Anna went to class, and Randy and I decided to make for Morningside Park to take advantage of the I Can't Believe It's Not May weather, and remind ourselves why we don't play disc golf anymore. If I'd spent half as much time in class as I spent at that park, I might have made it to my sophomore year at UT. We had to walk there, having locked both our keys in the apartment, and thus having no access to any of our cars, and we saw some very interesting Knoxville sights along the way. Did anyone else know the road between the police station and the civic auditorium was called "Support Our Troops Drive?" The park itself, I'm sad to say, has gone severely downhill, which is saying something of an abandoned park cum trustafarian playground on the edge of the ghetto. It is trashed, and that makes me sad, because I have a lot of happy seven-over-par memories of that place. We found another monument to Knoxville's Winchester House brand of urban development, a carefully built, double-wide sidewalk along "Historic Preservation Drive", that starts in the middle of the park, and goes absolutely fucking nowhere (but ends, hilariously, at a sign that says "wrong way"). There is nothing I could see that was Historic or Preservative about the road, which is really just an on-ramp to James White Parkway. Knoxville....awesome.