"But ah'm not afraid of dyin'. Cause I know that when I get to heaven there are gonna be these wonderful trees, and ah'm gonna climb them. But you know what? Instead of leaves and flowers, those trees are gonna have fried eggs, and delicious Virginia ham, and big heaping bowls of biscuits and sausage gravy. And one day, Sammy, you're gonna meet me there, and we're gonna climb those breakfast trees together, and it's gonna be delicious and we're gonna be happy until the end of time."

5.21.2005

Ain't No Jibe

And so, on three hours sleep, and a lingering muppet buzz, our heroine set sail.

Crewed for Randy on day one of the 39th Annual Dutch Treat Regatta at the Concord Yacht Club. Three of Four scheduled races run, the final being called off for lack of any sort of wind. The third being excruciatingly slow for the very same reason. First race of the day was by far the most exciting, as strong wind, nervousness at not having set foot in a sailboat in years, and a donut-only breakfast worked a marvelous synergistic effect on my seafaring constitution. It was our best finish of the day (7th). I was sorely disappointed when the gale forces died down after a nice, satisfying lunch, because I was ready to kick some Windmill ass at that point. Instead I got to work on my tan, a few sea shantys, and some friendly inter-boat trash talk.

Lack of wind aside, it was fantastic weather, and I was thrilled to be on the water for it. My body currently feels as though I took a few spins in a clothes dryer, and I'm sure tomorrow it will look it too. Randy is a great Skipper and I know he and Anna will beat the deck shoes off everyone tomorrow. The race photographer is supposed to burn a cd with pictures from both days of races, and I will post the ones in which I look A)as though I am doing something important or B)just plain cute, forthwith.