"But ah'm not afraid of dyin'. Cause I know that when I get to heaven there are gonna be these wonderful trees, and ah'm gonna climb them. But you know what? Instead of leaves and flowers, those trees are gonna have fried eggs, and delicious Virginia ham, and big heaping bowls of biscuits and sausage gravy. And one day, Sammy, you're gonna meet me there, and we're gonna climb those breakfast trees together, and it's gonna be delicious and we're gonna be happy until the end of time."

8.30.2004

I thought you said School's Out Forever...

My lack of posts for the last week presents me with multitudinous problems of where to start. Some highlights from last week:
-Trip to Athens was fantastic, it was good to see Jen thriving in her new environs, and it's nice to know everyone else is alive. A plus to see Anna Nero, fresh off her teaching gig in the godforsaken area of Georgia.
-Amish People at the IWF. Imagine crowds of Amish men and women, in full regalia (such as it is) checking out the latest in industrial woodworking machinery. We're not talking about table saws here, people, I mean gigantic computer-controlled monsters the size of city blocks. And cute Amish guys in their hats and suspenders, rocking promotional pins given out by exhibitors with little flashing LED'S. Awesome.
-After getting lost on the way to Ross's sister's new dorm, we discovered it was right across the street from Rhys's apartment. I mean, they could use a tin-can telephone to communicate. Small world we got going on here.

Now, here we are at the first day of school. Uncle Sam and I are investing a lot of time and money into my college education, but I'll pass on what I learned today to you for free. Consider it a gift.
1. Elections are a sham. (Plurality, Plurality with Elimination, and Borda count method all produce different winners in the same election)
2. The red soil in Tennessee is called Ultisol.

That's about it for today's lesson. There are no less than 6 Craft Center kids in my Math for dummies class. I arrived in my chemistry lecture to see a large, hell's angel's type (large, black t-shirt, vest with buttons, beret, beard..the works) shuffling papers around. I thought, this will be great. I started messing with my notebook, and when I looked up, he had been replaced with a tiny Chinese man. The guy is so cute, though. His powerpoint slide titles are the best :"Smokestack with Nasty Smoke" and "Nasty dishcharge at river." He should be fun though, he has a very earthy zen thing going on, I think.
I'd love to bore you with more details of my first day, but it ain't over yet. I may not have internet at my house yet, but the upside of having to go to Tech every damn day is Wi-fi in every classroom. Here's to Fall 2004, kids, may it be swift.